Campground Experiences of the Future
Revitalizing our national campgrounds.
In partnership with the National Park Service (NPS), the National Park Foundation (NPF) is harnessing the power of innovation to modernize campgrounds and trails and enrich visitor experiences in national parks across the country. With over 8 million visitors spending one or more nights in our national parks each year, it’s critical to ensure facilities are modernized and sustainable and built to last using the most advanced tools and materials possible. Applying universal design, modernized campsites will enable visitors to enjoy Wi-Fi, “comfort stations,” and widely available hot showers. But it’s not just the campsites – it’s the infrastructure associated with campgrounds: roads, hookups, fire rings, and social amenities such as amphitheaters. When we imagine our campgrounds' future, we imagine the full scope of a revitalized system.
NPF is working in lockstep with NPS to secure resources and funding to help address critical campground modernization needs across the country. Philanthropic support will help:
- Build widely accessible campgrounds
- Ensure the modernization of thousands of campgrounds across the nation
- Pilot new sustainable design standards and guidelines for future campgrounds
- Support NPS’s ability to manage sites throughout the country
- Provide direct grants to parks for capital projects related to revitalization needs