Prince William Forest Park, known for its woods and streams, welcomes campers, hikers, bikers and nature lovers to learn park history and enjoy events.
Established in 1936, the 15,000 acre Prince William Forest Park is the largest protected natural area in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan region. The park is the largest example of Piedmont forest in the National Park System. The park also protects the Quantico Creek watershed and is a sanctuary for numerous native plant and animal species.
Cultural resources located in the park are also varied. They include the remnants of Joplin and Hickory Ridge, two small communities existing prior to the parks establishment and the works of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), who built facilities, roads and lakes through the park during the 1930s. The Office of Strategic Services (OSS), America's first intelligence agency, used the park for training spies and radio operators between 1942 and 1945.
UpdateNPF Invests $5 Million in Service Corps Programs