Hohokam Pima National Monument protected 2,000 inhabitants in 'Snaketown,' village. When Hokoham Pimas was excavated, the site became invisible above ground.
Hohokam Pima National Monument was authorized by Congress on October 21, 1972, to protect an ancient Hohokam village known today as "Snaketown." Excavations in the 1930s and again in the 1960's revealed the site was inhabited from about 300 BC to around 1200 AD and may have had up to 2,000 inhabitants. Following the last excavations, the site was completely recovered with earth, leaving nothing visible above ground. The Monument is located on the Gila River Indian Reservation and is under tribal ownership. The Gila River Indian Community has decided not to open the extremely sensitive area to the public.
Stay inspired—sign up for our emails, learn how to become a member, and follow us on social media to get the latest park stories.