The Community Partnerships team at the National Park Foundation provides strategic support and valuable resources to non-profit philanthropic partners, volunteer groups, and cooperating associations for units of the National Park Service. Each of these groups share the common goal of protecting and stewarding our country’s national parks for future generations.
On this page, you will find guidance for community groups, recordings of previous webinars, and information about upcoming events. You can also subscribe to our monthly Park Partners newsletter, which highlights news related to national parks and features the work of partners like you. Tell us what your organization is doing to support your park and stay connected – we would love to amplify your work however we can.
We look forward to working with you and seeing you in the field and online!
Community Partnerships Resources
1. Strategic Growth Initiative
- The launch of the Strategic Growth Initiative in partnership with the Friends Alliance and the National Park Service will offer up to 15 Friends Groups the opportunity to participate in an organizational assessment process and receive capacity-building technical support. It is a key part of the Strong Parks, Strong Communities initiative. Applications/nominations are due Tuesday, May 29, 2018.
- Solid Ground Consulting, a near-full-service capacity-building firm, will provide all technical assistance. They think of “capacity” in terms of the skills, knowledge, and resources that organizations need to deliver their mission. They engage with organizations to building capacity in five arenas: (1) Vision, Mission, and Strategy (developing a vision, strategic planning, strategic frameworks); (2) Governance and Leadership (board and executive; executive search; succession and transition planning; leadership training); (3) Strategic Relationships (collaboration, communications, branding and strategic positioning, and governmental relations / advocacy); (4) Culture (cross-cultural communications, diversity equity and inclusion, and internal staff team culture and structure); (5) Resource Development (developing a fundraising strategy, capital campaign feasibility, crafting a case statement, identifying the skills needed for fundraising within your organization, board and staff roles in fundraising, business planning)
2. Guidance for Leaders on the Ground & in the Field of Park Support
- Find Your Park/Parks 101 Guide
- Government Relations Guide
- Donor Stewardship Guide
- Online Communications Guide
- Strong Parks, Strong Communities Initiative Overview & FAQs
3. Previous Webinars Hosted by National Park Foundation
- Donor Stewardship Webinar recording and slide deck
- Volunteerism Webinar recording and slide deck
- Summit Seekers Initiative Webinar recording and slide deck
- Service Corps Webinar recording and slide deck
- Social Media Webinar recording and slide deck
4. Upcoming Events for Park Partners
- The Friends Alliance will host a free meeting for partners in the Intermountain region in Austin, Texas from August 29-30, 2018. Learn more and register here.
- The Fall 2018 Friends Alliance Meeting will be held at Glacier National Park from October 8-12, 2018. Learn more about the meeting here.
5. Monthly News & Updates
For inquiries related to support and technical assistance, contact Madeleine Bien, Manager, Community Partnerships at [email protected]. For general questions, contact Marya Skotte, Coordinator, Community Partnerships at [email protected].