The Friends Alliance is an informal union of philanthropic park partners and park officials that meet twice a year to share best practices and advance park partnerships. The Alliance convened its first meeting in 1994 by a small group of philanthropic park partner (or “Friends Group”) executives to share stories and learn from one another. Since its inception, the Alliance has grown exponentially and evolved into a peer-learning, collaborative network for park partners.
How We Help
The Friends Alliance is currently led by a steering committee elected by the network and convenings are held bi-annually. Over 200+ participants attend these meetings, which provide opportunities for peer-to-peer learning, National Park Service leadership updates, and strategic discussions between philanthropic partners, park officials, and other park allies.
As part of the National Park Foundation’s efforts to elevate park partners and increase philanthropic capacity, the Foundation facilitates biannual meetings by providing technical, financial, and administrative support to the Friends Alliance. Learn how the Foundation supports national park partnerships by visiting the Local Park Support page.
Steering Committee Members
- Frank Dean, Yosemite Conservancy – Steering Committee, Co-chair
- Katie Nyberg, Mississippi Park Connection – Steering Committee, Co-chair
- Bess Mitchell Averett, Friends of Vicksburg National Military Park and Campaign
- Elizabeth Fien, Friends of Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park
- Doug Mitchell, Glacier National Park Conservancy
- Estee Rivera Murdock, Rocky Mountain Conservancy
- Ryan McClure, Gateway Arch Park Foundation
- Tim Chandler, Friends of the Smokies
- Deb Yandala, Conservancy for Cuyahoga Valley National Park
- Reggie Chapple, National Park Service Liaison
- Will Shafroth, National Park Foundation Liaison
The National Park Friends Alliance, National Park Service, and National Park Foundation are looking forward to a return to an in-person gathering for the Fall 2022 Friends Alliance Meeting. Check back for more information in the coming months.
For more information about the Friends Alliance or to sign up for the monthly Park Partners newsletter and Friends Alliance updates, please email [email protected].