The White House and President's Park
The White House at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, was originally constructed between 1792-1800, and was the work of James Hoban. It was reconstructed in 1815 after being burned by British soldiers during the War of 1812. It has been the home of every president of the United States since John Adams. The exterior of the main structure, despite some additions and minor changes, remains much as it was in 1800. The interior has been completely renovated using the historic floor plan. It is significant for its Federal architecture, as a symbol of the presidency, and for the important decisions made within its walls over the years.
Throughout the years President's Park has served many purposes, from a field for infantry drills to a place for inaugural celebrations. With the White House as a backdrop, President's Park has played host to suffragettes, freedom riders, anti-war protestors, Easter egg rollers, and participants of festivities surrounding the lighting of the National Christmas Tree.
Stay inspired—sign up for our emails, learn how to become a member, and follow us on social media to get the latest park stories.