Saint Paul's Church National Historic Site

Anchors

About

Saint Paul's Church Information

Saint Paul's Church National Historic Site, among New York's oldest parishes, was used as a hospital and for deployments following the Pell Point Battle.

Saint Paul's Church stood at the edge of Eastchester village green, the site of the "Great Election" in 1733, which raised the issues of Freedom of Religion and Press. The adjoining cemetery contains burials dating from 1704.Increasing industrialization of the area around St. Paul's Church in the early 20th century led to the decline of the parish.

In 1942, as part of an effort to revitalize the congregation and draw attention to the site's historical significance, the interior of the church was restored to its 18th century appearance, based on the original pew plan of 1787. A committee chaired by Sara Delano Roosevelt, mother of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, raised funds for the project. In 1980, the site was transferred from the Episcopal Dioceses of New York to the National Park Service.

Making an Impact
Visiting
From the Blog
Support Our Parks
The protection of our national parks is a job we can all do. Our parks need the support of people like you who love and visit them.