Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park was authorized for protection by the War Department in 1917 and was made a unit of the National Park System in 1933. The 2,888-acre park includes the site of some of the heaviest fighting of the Atlanta Campaign of the Civil War.
The name Kennesaw is derived from the Cherokee Indian "Gah-nee-sah" meaning cemetery or burial ground. The battle was fought here from June 18, 1864 until July 2, 1864. Over 67,000 soldiers were killed, wounded and captured during the Atlanta Campaign.