New Year's Resolutions to Make for 2017
A new calendar year presents fresh opportunities to determine how to improve and what you hope to accomplish. If you want to prioritize self-care and do something new in 2017, consider adding these 5 ideas to your new year’s resolutions. After all, national parks are the perfect place for nurturing your mind, body, and soul!
Visit 3 New National Parks
Commit to visiting three new sites that embody the diversity of the National Park System – you’re bound to find something that speaks to you in any of the over 400 national parks across the country. In honor of the essence of the #FindYourPark/#EncuentraTuParque movement, seek out lesser-known natural, cultural, and historical parks (side note: many parks encompass all three elements, so don’t limit your research).
Here are some idea starters:
- Natural – Attend a star party at Cedar Breaks National Monument; paddle through Big Cypress National Preserve’s swamp; or backpack through the wilderness of Cumberland Gap National Historical Park.
- Cultural – Visit the legendary ki'i that surround the Hale o Keawe temple at Pu`uhonua O Hōnaunau National Historical Park; take in the captivating architecture of Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument; or explore the center of Hidatsa life at Knife River Indian Villages National Historic Site.
- Historical – Be mesmerized by the incredible collection of original objects at Frederick Douglass National Historic Site; tour the historic Raspberry Island Lighthouse at Apostle Islands National Lakeshore; or see the impressive wall of fossils in the Quarry Exhibit Hall at Dinosaur National Monument.
Take a Park Newbie with You
Few things enhance your appreciation of a park adventure like seeing it through fresh eyes. The next time you plan to revisit a beloved park, invite somebody along who hasn’t been before. Create an opportunity for someone to find their park by sharing the park experience with a loved one.
Run a Race in a Crazy Awesome Place
If training for a race has been on your bucket list, make 2017 the year you will make it a reality! Vacation Races hosts races near some of our nation’s most iconic national parks, including Yellowstone, Rocky Mountain, and Everglades. By registering for an event through Vacation Races, you’ll not only be knocking an item off your bucket list, you’ll also be supporting your national parks! Check out the list of upcoming races and be inspired to make a vacation out of your next race.
- Yellowstone Half Marathon & 5K (June 9-10, 2017)
- Glacier Half Marathon (June 24, 2017)
- Rocky Mountain Half Marathon & 5K (August 12, 2017)
- Shenandoah Half Marathon (September 2, 2017)
- Great Smoky Mountains Half Marathon & 5K (September 8-9, 2017)
- Grand Canyon Half Marathon (October 14, 2017)
- Lake Powell Half Marathon (2017 Dates Coming Soon!)
- Everglades Half Marathon (2017 Dates Coming Soon!)
Make Every Step Matter
As you commit to hitting those step goals in the new year, make them count for you and for your national parks. Charity Miles is a free app that allows you to raise money for a charity by walking, running, or biking. Walkers and runners earn 25¢ per mile and bikers earn 10¢ per mile for their charity of choice. Every step you take can make a difference for your national parks, so download the app today, select the National Park Foundation, and get out on the trails!
Give Back to the Places You Love
As you make plans to venture into the parks in 2017, why not make a resolution to ensure these treasures remain vibrant, relevant, and protected for many years to come? There are many ways to make a powerful impact for your national parks – become a supporting member of the national park community and help us preserve our national inheritance.
No matter how you choose to set your new year’s resolutions, make it an incredible year by committing to #FindYourPark many times over. Be sure to share your adventures with us online and through social channels by using #FindYourPark and #EncuentraTuParque! Here’s to an unforgettable 2017!