WASHINGTON — The 96th National Christmas Tree Lighting will be held on Wednesday, November 28th beginning at 4:30 p.m. on the Ellipse in President’s Park. The National Park Service, United States Park Police and United States Secret Service are working in collaboration with local and federal law enforcement and public safety personnel to provide for the safety of all guests attending the National Christmas Tree Lighting. Every effort has been made to minimize the impact of these safety measures.
All street closures and listed times are subject to change based upon prevailing or unexpected conditions. The following street closures will be in effect beginning November 28, 2018 at 1 p.m. All street closures will be lifted by 8 p.m.
- 17th Street, NW closed from Pennsylvania Avenue to Constitution Avenue NW
- C St NW from 17th Street to 18th Street NW
- D St NW from 17th Street to 18th Street NW
- E St NW from 17th Street to 18th Street NW
- F St NW from 17th Street to 18th Street NW
- G St NW from 17th Street to 18th Street NW
- New York Avenue from 17th Street to 18th Street NW
The following additional closures will be in effect from 2 p.m. until 8 p.m.
- Constitution Avenue NW from 14th Street to 18th Street NW
- 15th Street NW closed from H Street NW to Madison Drive NW *Traffic will still be allowed to flow south on 15th Street from Madison Drive*
- 17th Street NW closed from Constitution Avenue to Independence Avenue SW
- Pennsylvania Avenue NW from 14th Street to 15th Street NW
- E St NW from 14th Street to 15th Street NW
- F St NW from 14th Street to 15th Street NW
- G St NW from 14th Street to 15th Street NW
- New York Avenue from 14th Street to 15th Street NW
The entrance for ticketed guests is located along 17th Street NW across from E Street NW. Guests should line up from E street north. Attendees are encouraged to use public transportation and Metro to travel to President’s Park. The Farragut North and West Metro stations are closest to the event.
Parking will be restricted on the curb lanes of Constitution Ave., between 14th and 18th Streets, NW, both sides of 15th Street, from H Street NW to Madison Drive NW, and both sides of 17th Street, from Pennsylvania Ave. to Independence Ave., SW. In addition, parking is restricted on both curb lanes of C, D, E, F,G, New York and Pennsylvania between 14th & 18 Streets between Constitution Ave and North to Pennsylvania Ave on the NW and H St on the Northeast of the Ellipse.
Guests should be prepared for a search of all items carried onto the site. Law enforcement personnel reserve the right to prohibit any other items determined to be a potential public safety hazard. Guests are encouraged to be prepared for rain or inclement weather by bringing rain jackets or ponchos.
Prohibited items include:
- Animals other than service/guide animals
- Backpacks and bags exceeding size restrictions (18" by 13" by 7")
- Drones and other unmanned aircraft systems
- Glass, thermal, or metal containers
- Laser pointers
- Mace I Pepper spray
- Selfie Sticks
- Signs exceeding the size restrictions (20" x 3" x 1/4")
- Supports for signs and placards
- Toy guns
- Weapons of any kind
- Any other items determined to be potential safety hazards
- Strollers and wheelchairs are allowed, but guests should be prepared for a search of all items carried onto the site.
- All National Parks prohibit the use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems and the Greater Washington, D.C. area is a No Drone Zone.
- Always Remember – If You See Something, Say Something. Contact U.S. Park Police at 202-610-7500 or call 911.