How We Help
The Friends Alliance is an informal union of Friends Groups executives and park officials that evolved from a meeting convened by the National Park Foundation in 1994. The Alliance shares information among its members, learns and helps to clarify NPS policies, advances partnership and philanthropic ideas and discusses models for problem solving between Friends Groups and the NPS. The Friends Alliance is led by an elected steering committee and membership is open to all national park Friends Groups.
The National Park Foundation provides grant and technical support to the Friends Alliance.
Steering Committee Members
- Deb Yandala, President (Conservancy for Cuyahoga Valley National Park)
- Joe Kessler, Vice President (Friends of Virgin Islands National Park)
- Greg Moore, Vice President (Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy)
- Joanne Hanley (Gettysburg Foundation)
- David MacDonald (Friends of Acadia)
- Katie Nyberg (Mississippi River Fund)
- Diana Saathoff (Mount Rushmore Society)
- Susan Schroeder (Grand Canyon Association)
- Marya Skotte, National Park Foundation Liaison
- Reginald Chapple, National Park Service Liaison
The 2016 Fall Friends Alliance Meeting is taking place October 25-27, 2016 in Grand Canyon National Park. The National Park Foundation will host in conjunction with our partner, Grand Canyon Association (GCA), the official non-profit partner of Grand Canyon National Park. Grand Canyon Association works to protect, preserve, and steward one of America’s most famous and majestic national parks. This year’s meeting will not only highlight their incredible work both within the park and the local community, but also shed light on the role of partnership in maintaining and enhancing our national parks in the 21st century and beyond. As we look past the Centennial year, the fall meeting will aim to give the partner community insights into the upcoming leadership changes at NPS and what we can do moving forward. As always, we will allow time for Friends to connect and discuss important issues affecting them at the local, regional and national level. Click here to learn more and to register.
The Friends Alliance will be back in our nation’s capital next spring! More information regarding dates and accommodations will be announced at our fall meeting.
For more information about the Friends Alliance, please contact Marya Skotte at [email protected].