How We Help
The Friends Alliance is an informal union of Friends Groups executives and park officials that evolved from a meeting convened by the National Park Foundation in 1994. The Alliance shares information among its members, learns and helps to clarify NPS policies, advances partnership and philanthropic ideas and discusses models for problem solving between Friends Groups and the NPS. The Friends Alliance is led by an elected steering committee and membership is open to all national park Friends Groups.
The National Park Foundation provides grant and technical support to the Friends Alliance.
Steering Committee Members
- Deb Yandala, President (Conservancy for Cuyahoga Valley National Park)
- Joe Kessler, Vice President (Friends of Virgin Islands National Park)
- Greg Moore, Vice President (Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy)
- Joanne Hanley (Gettysburg Foundation)
- David MacDonald (Friends of Acadia)
- Katie Nyberg (Mississippi River Fund)
- Diana Saathoff (Mount Rushmore Society)
- Susan Schroeder (Grand Canyon Association)
- Mark DeSantis, National Park Foundation Liaison
- Reginald Chapple, National Park Service Liaison
The 2016 Spring Friends Alliance Meeting is taking place March 15-17, 2016 in Washington, DC. The National Park Foundation will host alongside our partner, Washington Parks & People, a local organization that helps breathe life into dozens of green spaces across the District and is the steward of Meridian Hill/ Malcolm X Park, an administrative unit of Rock Creek Park here in the District. This year’s meeting will be the first of the 2016 Centennial year and will focus on the role of partnership in maintaining and enhancing our national parks in the 21st century. As always, we will allow time for Friends to connect and discuss important issues affecting them at the local, regional and national level. Learn more »
The Friends Alliance is heading to Grand Canyon National Park next fall! Be on the lookout for more information regarding dates and accommodations, as well as news from our co-hosts for the event, Grand Canyon Association.
For more information about the Friends Alliance, please contact Mark DeSantis at [email protected].