Funding of the “America’s Best Idea” program will increase access to the outdoors for more than
60,000 underserved children thanks to L.L.Bean and NPF’s “Million Moment Mission”
Freeport, ME and Washington, DC, October 19, 2012 – Outdoor retailer L.L.Bean and the National Park Foundation (NPF), the official charity of America’s national parks, announced today that the goal of the “Million Moment Mission” has been reached, resulting in a donation of $1 million by L.L.Bean to support youth programming in our national parks. The Million Moment Mission campaign was created in celebration of L.L.Bean’s 100th anniversary year, designed to inspire a love of the outdoors in the next generation.
With the campaign, L.L.Bean pledged to contribute $1 to NPF’s “America’s Best Idea” program for every outdoor moment shared. Thanks to the contribution of one million stories, photos and outdoor experiences, L.L.Bean and NPF have met their goal. The $1 million contribution from L.L.Bean will have an impact on 60,000 underserved children in America.
“We are overwhelmed by how many people have shared their excitement for the outdoors. In joining us in the Million Moment Mission and sharing their passion, our customers are helping to inspire the next generation of outdoor enthusiasts. We are proud to partner with the National Park Foundation on this vital initiative to get more kids into healthy, outdoor activities.” said Chris McCormick, CEO of L.L.Bean
Grants from the National Park Foundation, funded by L.L.Bean, have already helped kids and teens across the country get outdoors and work with mentors. They've hiked in national parks, kayaked along national seashores, and worked an archaeological dig.
“We are inspired by L.L. Bean’s commitment to connect America’s youth to their national parks,” said Neil Mulholland, President and CEO of the National Park Foundation. “Through their generous support, we will continue to nurture the next generation of outdoor enthusiasts and instill in them a sense of stewardship, ensuring that these special places will be protected and enjoyed today and always.”
Examples of programs made possible through L.L.Bean funding to the 2012 America’s Best Idea grants include:
- The Assateague Adventure Academy at Assateague Island National Seashore, which encourages students to participate in recreational activities along the seashore, like kayaking and digging for clams
- The Native American Conservation Corps at Canyon de Chelly National Monument, who for the first time hired an all-Native American crew, giving local youth valuable job experience and a connection to the outdoors.
- Women on the Water: Leaders of Tomorrow, a program developed for high school girls from cities and towns surrounding the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, which teaches the girls to become environmental stewards as they learn key kayaking, canoeing and rafting techniques
- Archaeological work in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, through which Cherokee youth and the local high schools engage in a two-week dig supervised by professional archaeologists
- Voyageurs National Parks Teen Ambassadors Program, which brings kids from rural areas on outdoor adventures
For more information on L.L.Bean’s commitment to the outdoors, please visit llbean.com. To learn more about the National Park Foundation and its programs, please visit www.nationalparks.org.
About L.L.Bean, Inc.
L.L.Bean, Inc. is a leading multichannel merchant of quality outdoor gear and apparel. Founded in 1912 by Leon Leonwood Bean, the company began as a one-room operation selling a single product, the Maine Hunting Shoe. While its business has grown over the years, L.L.Bean still upholds the values of its founder, including his dedication to quality, customer service and a love of the outdoors. L.L.Bean products are rigorously tested, guaranteed to last and always shipped free. In the past five years, L.L.Bean has donated over $6 million toward conservation and land stewardship. The 200,000 sq. ft. L.L.Bean retail store campus in Freeport, ME, is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and welcomes more than 3 million visitors every year. L.L.Bean can be found worldwide at www.llbean.com, L.L.Bean Facebook, L.L.Bean Twitter and L.L.Bean YouTube.
About the National Park Foundation
You are the owner of 84 million acres of the world’s most treasured memorials, landscapes, ecosystems, and historic sites -- all protected in America’s nearly 400 national parks. Chartered by Congress, the National Park Foundation is the official charity of America’s national parks. We work hand in hand with the National Park Service to connect you and all Americans to the parks, and to make sure that they are preserved for the generations who will follow. Join us in supporting your national parks -- this is your land. www.nationalparks.org.